Thursday, August 30, 2007

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780812968064-2 - I borrowed this from Raz awhile ago, but at the time felt like I had read too many books set in Asia, so I put it to the side. About half-way through I realized, "I love books set in Asia." This one takes place in 19th century China. Lily is a poor peasant. Snow Flower comes from one of the wealthiest "feng shui perfect" counties around. A matchmaker notices Lily's delicate feet, and pronounces that with the right footbinding techniques, she could marry into a well-respected family and change her fate. To assist in this journey, the matchmaker arranges for Lily and Snow Flower to become laotong, or life-long intimate friends. They exchange messages in nu shu, a secret women-only language, and share their hopes and dreams - in a world where a woman is valued only for the sons to whom she gives birth. The constraints placed on the women - by society, their husbands, their mothers-in-law - is heart-breaking, but the friendship they maintain is a true treasure. I felt as if the end of the book came too quickly, with the author explaining a little too much. But, this is a very intriguing glimpse into old Chinese traditions, and the importance of female friends.

1 comment:

Edie said...

Annie- I love your blog! I wanted to share two books with you that I read recently that I think you would like: Snow by Orhan Pamuk and Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her by Melanie Rehak. Thanks for all your good reads and inspiring me to write my own blog! Edie Harding (I work with your mom)