Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Tie That Binds - Kent Haruf

http://www.powells.com/biblio/17-9780375724381-0 - Years ago I read a novel by Haruf called Plainsong. I can't remember the plot, but I remember really enjoying it. So, I picked up Haruf's first novel The Tie That Binds, without really even reading the back cover. The book starts out with an old woman lying in the hospital, charged with murder. It's unclear who she's allegedly murdered or how, but it is clear that the narrator doesn't think she's guilty. And so he tells the story - the story of life on a farm in Colorado, and a woman tied to her father and the land he keeps. It is a story about family, obligations, sacrifice, and love - of all kinds. It was a bit difficult for me to get into this book, but once I did, I found that I actually did care about the characters. It wasn't so much about figuring out the murder that started the book out, but just learning about where these people had come from and the unfortunate hand life had dealt them. It is depressing and frustrating, but ultimately, a realistic story about family and the choices we make.

No comments: